Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status
Reach Aeroplan Elite Status based on how much you fly with Air Canada and the Star Alliance member airlines (the number of Status Qualifying Miles or Status Qualifying Segments you earn), as well as how much you spend (Status Qualifying Dollars) within a calendar year.
Note: Qualification for Elite Status is earned by the member who travels, not the member who purchases a ticket.
Qualification requirements to reach Elite Status:
*Beginning in 2022, and beyond, all members will need to reach the published Status Qualifying Dollar requirement to qualify. This means that non-Canadian residents, will also need to meet the Status Qualifying Dollars requirements found in the chart above.
If you are currently a 2021 Aeroplan Elite Status Member, your status will automatically be extended through the end of 2022. Learn more.
Earning Status Qualifying Miles and Status Qualifying Segments
You can earn SQM and SQS in the following ways:
On eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada RougeTM.
On the flights with eligible Air Canada Vacations packages.
On flights with the Star AllianceTM member airlines. For more information about which flights are eligible, view our partner airlines.
Earning Status Qualifying Dollars
Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD) are tracked based on the date you travel and awarded only after your travel is completed. You will earn SQD for the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges (Y, YQ and YR) on:
- Earn SQD on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada RougeTM.
- Earn SQD on flights with Star AllianceTM member airlines ticketed on Air Canada ticket stock (ticket numbers beginning with “014”).
- For Unlimited Flight Passes, SQD will be credited based on the payment of each monthly installment. The total amount of SQD you will receive will correspond to the price paid before sales taxes.
- For eligible Limited Credit Flight Passes, SQD will be credited after each flight is flown. Government-imposed taxes, fees and surcharges are excluded based on each itinerary booked.
- For eligible Limited Credit Flight Passes where there is more than one traveller, the SQD value will be credited to the person who travels, not to the purchaser.
- Earn SQD for eUpgrade add-ons based on the monetary value of the purchase. SQD will be credited based on the date of travel.
Please note that due to data exchange processes between Air Canada and its partners, there can sometimes be a delay between the time of travel and the posting of SQD. This can occur as soon as 24 hours after your Status Qualifying Miles (SQM) have been posted, but in some cases can take up to one month.
Certain airline tickets and purchases are not eligible for the accumulation of SQD.
Members will earn Status Qualifying Dollars when using an electronic travel voucher to purchase their ticket. Members will also earn Status Qualifying Dollars when using a discount code to purchase their ticket; however, SQD will be calculated based on the adjusted base fare paid.
Members will not earn Status Qualifying Dollars on the following types of fares/flight activities:
- Aeroplan flight rewards, including Points + Cash reservations
- Economy Basic fares for Air Canada flights within Canada, and between Canada and the United States. Beginning January 2021, all Economy Basic fares will not earn SQD.
- Specialty fares and tickets, including but not limited to promotional tickets and promotional Flight Passes, opaque fares, group, consolidated or bulk fares.
- Fares that are not eligible for the accumulation of SQM
- Fares on flights marketed by Air Canada, but operated by airlines that are not Star Alliance partners
- Codeshare flights marketed and operated by other airlines
- All-inclusive vacation packages (flights and hotel) purchased through Air Canada Vacations, or other websites offering vacation packages
- Refunded, void, or unused tickets, including unused non-refundable tickets
- Charter flights on Air Canada Jetz or other single-entity charter flights, unless otherwise specified
Members will not earn Status Qualifying Dollars on the following types of purchases:
- Baggage service charges
- A Maple Leaf Club membership
- Last Minute Upgrade purchases
- Standard or Preferred Seat selection charges
- Air Canada Bistro purchases
- AC Bid Upgrade purchases
In addition, the following do not count toward your SQD balance:
- The amount you successfully bid to obtain an upgrade as part of the AC Bid Upgrade program.
- The government-imposed taxes, fees and surcharges associated with ticket purchases.
You can request missing SQD.
For members whose Status Qualifying Dollars have not been posted in their account after completing an eligible activity:
- If the flight activity has not been posted in your account, request credit for your flight. This will trigger crediting for your SQD, along with your SQS, SQM, and Aeroplan points.
- If the flight activity has been posted, you can fill out our online form to report an SQD discrepancy. Please ensure a minimum of 14 days have passed since your flight departure, as adjustments are not possible within the 14-day window.
More information about SQD.
- All SQD will always be tracked in Canadian dollars. If you purchase your eligible tickets in a foreign currency, Air Canada will use a standard exchange rate at time of sale and award the equivalent SQD in Canadian dollars.
- You may not earn both SQD and loyalty program miles or points with a program other than Aeroplan. For a ticket to be eligible for SQD, you must enter your Aeroplan number as your loyalty program number.
- If your ticket is cancelled or goes unused, you will not earn SQD. If you do not end up travelling on a ticket you purchased, we will not be able to assess the value of your SQD.
- We calculate SQD for tickets including more than one flight. We use an industry-standard proration method based on the length (in Great Circle Miles) of each eligible individual flight segment to distribute the SQD value of your total eligible purchase (base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges) to each segment.
The amount of qualifying currencies you earn on Air Canada flights
Earn the following amount of qualifying currencies on Air Canada flights beginning January 1, 2021:
Earn consistently across the Air Canada network, regardless of where you’re flying. You’re also able to earn Status Qualifying Currencies on eligible flights operated by Star Alliance member airlines.
As of January 1, 2021, Basic fares are no longer eligible to earn Status Qualifying Currencies. You are, however, able to earn redeemable Aeroplan points on Economy Basic fares. Learn more.
Qualify early and your benefits start immediately
Reach a higher status tier early? That’s great! You can choose your Select Benefits** as soon as you qualify for a higher Elite Status and enjoy that status immediately for the rest of the benefit year.
Terms and Conditions
**Note that if the Select Benefits for the lower Elite Status have not yet been selected, they will be chosen on the member's behalf prior to the awarding of the higher Elite Status. No changes will be permitted once defaulted. Members will have until the end of the benefit year to choose the Select Benefits for their new Elite Status.
Everyday Status Qualification
Reach Aeroplan Elite Status before you even leave the ground. The points you earn every day - through spending with Aeroplan credit cards, flying with Air Canada and partner airlines, and with any of our travel and retail partners - will get you closer to status.
Earn 100,000 points through eligible transactions during a calendar year, and you’ll have Aeroplan 25K Status through the following year.
Please note that while the Everyday Status Qualification tracker is live, retroactive balances from January 1, 2021 to present, may not show on your dashboard until the end of May 2021.
Points obtained through sign-up or welcome bonuses associated with Aeroplan credit cards, through conversion from other programs, accumulated as a benefit of Aeroplan Elite Status, including but not limited to the Aeroplan Elite Status bonus with partner airlines, or bonuses earned through the Aeroplan eStore for holding Aeroplan Elite Status, accumulated as part of a flight activity not operated by Air Canada, Canadian North, Air Creebec or the Star Alliance member airlines, purchased, or received as a gift, transferred between member accounts, reinstated following account inactivity, redeemed as part of a Points + Cash reservation or accumulated as part of contest prizes, or for participating in Aeroplan research are not eligible.