Travel to or via Canada – new entry requirement for Mexican citizens

Effective December 1st, 2016, Mexican citizens will no longer need a visa to visit Canada. They will, however, need to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before they can board a flight to Canada. The eTA was introduced as an entry requirement by the Government of Canada and applies to certain visa-exempt foreign nationals* travelling to or transiting Canada by air.

If you are a Mexican citizen and wish to complete your application for an eTAOpens in New Window, you will need your passport, a credit card and an email address. An eTA costs $7 CAD and is valid for up to five years.

Note that, if you already have a valid visa, you can continue travelling to Canada with that visa until it expires, even after December 1, 2017.