News Archive

Travel News and Updates

Electronic Travel Authorization for Flights to Canada

 January 3, 2017

Effective December 1st, 2016, Mexican citizens who do not have a valid visa will be required to have an eTA before they can board a flight to Canada.

November 14, 2016

The Government of Canada has introduced a new entry requirement, known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), that applies to visa-exempt foreign nationals* travelling to or transiting Canada by air.

Effective November 10, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals must have an eTA before they can board a flight to Canada. To complete your application for an eTAOpens in New Window, you will need your passport, a credit card and an email address. An eTA costs $7 CAD and is valid for up to five years.

Among those exempted from this new requirement are U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. As well, entry requirements for travellers arriving by land or sea have not changed.

To see if the citizens of your country need an eTA or to apply for one, visit the Government of Canada’s Electronic Travel Authorization Opens in New Windowwebsite.

* A visa-exempt foreign national is a person who is not a citizen of Canada and is not required to obtain a visa for the purpose of travel based on their country of nationality.