More flexibility for our members
In times like these, loyalty is more important than ever – and we know it goes both ways. Here are a few adjustments we're making to the Aeroplan program in light of these unprecedented circumstances. Additionally, you can read up on all the latest updates on how Air Canada and Aeroplan are addressing COVID-19, including our special provisions for Aeroplan Elite Status Members.
Further extension to Aeroplan Elite Status and benefits
Automatic extension of 2021 Aeroplan Elite Status
Whatever Aeroplan Elite Status you currently hold in 2021, we will automatically extend it through the end of 2022. Should you reach a higher status before the end of this year, you'll enjoy it upon qualification and through 2022 as well.*
- Just like this year, you'll also be able to choose your Select Benefits once again in early 2022, so that you can enjoy the benefits that you value the most – including eUpgrade credits, bonus Aeroplan points, and Status Passes.
- Members who chose Lower Requalification Level as one of their 2021 Select Benefits prior to May 25 will receive a one-time deposit of 5,000 Status Qualifying Miles and 5 Status Qualifying Segments in early 2022.
- Any unused Priority Reward vouchers will also be extended and will be valid for use through December 31, 2022. These extensions will appear in your account by January 2022.
- You’ll only receive a new membership kit for the coming year if you achieve a higher status than you currently hold in 2021. Otherwise, please continue to use your 2021 luggage tags, and access your membership card in the Air Canada mobile app.
Example 1: If you hold Aeroplan Super Elite status for 2021, you'll keep that status through the end of 2022. If you have four unused Priority Reward vouchers in your account, we’ll ensure they are valid through December 2022.
Example 2: If you hold Aeroplan 35K status for 2021, you'll keep that status through the end of 2022. Based on your 2021 flight activities, if you earn at least 50,000 Status Qualifying Miles (or 50 Status Qualifying Segments) and 6,000 Status Qualifying Dollars, you'll enjoy Aeroplan 50K status through 2022. If you have two unused Priority Reward vouchers in your account, they will be valid through December 2022.
* Automatic extension of Aeroplan Elite Status does not apply to Special Promotions, such as but not limited to Status Challenges, Status Matches, and any other promotion where it is otherwise indicated.
Elite Status qualification jumpstart for 2022
Many of our members have needed to travel during the pandemic, often for essential reasons. If you achieve any Aeroplan Elite Status based on the published qualification criteria through your 2021 flight activity with Air Canada, the Star Alliance member airlines, and other eligible airline partners, we’ll honour your 2021 Status Qualifying Miles (SQM), Segments (SQS), and Dollars (SQD) in 2022, jumpstarting your status qualification for 2022 and beyond.
For certainty, over the course of 2021, members would need to earn at least 25,000 SQM or 25 SQS, and at least 3,000 SQD (1,500 SQD for non-Canadian residents), in order to be eligible for this jumpstart in 2022.
Example: If you hold Aeroplan 75K status for 2021, you'll keep that status through the end of 2022.
- Based on your 2021 flight activities, if you earn 26,000 SQM, 15 SQS, and 3,500 SQD, you’ll have met the qualification requirement for Aeroplan 25K, and therefore all 26,000 SQM, 15 SQS, and 3,500 SQD will be added to your qualification balance in 2022.
- Similarly, based on your 2021 flight activities, if you earn 79,000 SQM, 35 SQS, and 12,500 SQD, you’ll have met the qualification requirement for Aeroplan 75K, and therefore all 79,000 SQM, 35 SQS, and 12,500 SQD will be added to your qualification balance in 2022.
- However, based on your 2021 flight activities, if you earn 12,000 SQM, 4 SQS, and 2,800 SQD, you will not have met the qualification requirement for any Aeroplan Elite Status, and therefore your 2021 SQM, SQS, and SQD will not be honoured in 2022.
Learn more about Aeroplan Elite Status.
Change policy for Aeroplan flight rewards
We’ll waive all change fees on Aeroplan flight rewards through July 5, 2022. Starting July 6, 2022, flight rewards will be eligible for a one-time change fee waiver if booked prior to this date.
- For voluntary changes, you’ll pay the difference in points or receive a partial refund if your new itinerary requires fewer points. In addition, a difference in taxes, fees and charges may apply when changing your itinerary.
- To make a change to a flight reward call the Aeroplan Contact Centre at 1-800-361-5373. All flight rewards must be changed at least 2 hours prior to departure.
|Booking date||Date of change||Change fee|
|Through July 5, 2022||Through July 5, 2022||Waived – unlimited|
|Through July 5, 2022||July 6, 2022, onward||Waived – first change|
|July 6, 2022, onward||July 6, 2022, onward||Applicable - per fare option purchased|
We’ve made updates to Aeroplan’s flight reward change fee policy. Aeroplan’s Economy Flex fare option now includes waived change fees. For Aeroplan fare options which include a change fee, we’ve simplified the structure with a new anytime change fee.
- Economy Flex, Economy Latitude, Premium Economy (flexible), Business Class (flexible) and First Class (flexible) fare options always include waived change fees
- Economy Standard, Premium Economy (lowest), Business Class (lowest) and First Class (lowest) fare options allow changes alongside a $100 anytime change fee (per direction, per ticket)
Looking for more flexibility?
- Our Economy Latitude, Premium Economy Flexible and Business/First Class Flexible reward fare options always offer waived change and cancellation fees.
- Aeroplan Super Elite Status Members enjoy waived change and cancellation fees for flight rewards redeemed from their accounts, regardless of fare option.