More flexibility for our members
In times like these, loyalty is more important than ever – and we know it goes both ways. Here are a few adjustments we're making to the Aeroplan program in light of these unprecedented circumstances. Additionally, you can find the latest updates on how Air Canada and Aeroplan are addressing COVID-19 here, including our special provisions for Aeroplan Elite Status Members.
Further extension to Aeroplan Elite Status and benefits
Automatic extension of 2021 Aeroplan Elite Status
Whatever Aeroplan Elite Status you currently hold in 2021, we will automatically extend it through the end of 2022. Should you reach a higher status before the end of this year, you'll enjoy it upon qualification and through 2022 as well.
- Just like this year, you'll also be able to choose your Select Benefits once again in early 2022, so that you can enjoy the benefits that you value the most – including eUpgrade credits, bonus Aeroplan points, and Status Passes. (Take note: since members will receive 20 eUpgrade credits in early 2022, along with the option to choose more as part of their Select Benefits, eUpgrade credits valid in 2021 will not be extended into 2022.)
- In light of this change, members who chose Lower Requalification Level as one of their 2021 Select Benefits prior to May 25 will receive a one-time deposit of 5,000 Status Qualifying Miles and 5 Status Qualifying Segments in early 2022.
- Any unused Priority Reward vouchers earned in 2020 will also be extended for another year, and therefore valid for use through December 2022. These extensions will appear in your account beginning later this year.
Example 1: If you hold Aeroplan Super Elite status for 2021, you'll keep that status through the end of 2022. If you earned four Priority Reward vouchers in October 2020, any unused vouchers will be extended through December 2022.
Example 2: If you hold Aeroplan 35K status for 2021, you'll keep that status through the end of 2022. Based on your 2021 flight activities, if you earn at least 50,000 Status Qualifying Miles (or 50 Status Qualifying Segments) and 6,000 Status Qualifying Dollars, you'll enjoy Aeroplan 50K status for 2022. If you earned two Priority Reward vouchers in October 2020, any unused vouchers will be extended through December 2022.
Elite Status qualification jumpstart for 2022
Many of our members have needed to travel during the pandemic, often for essential reasons. If you achieve any Aeroplan Elite Status based on the published qualification criteria through your 2021 flight activity with Air Canada, the Star Alliance member airlines, and other eligible airline partners, we’ll honour your 2021 Status Qualifying Miles (SQM), Segments (SQS), and Dollars (SQD) in 2022, jumpstarting your status qualification for 2022 and beyond.
For certainty, over the course of 2021, members would need to earn at least 25,000 SQM or 25 SQS, and at least 3,000 SQD (1,500 SQD for non-Canadian residents), in order to be eligible for this jumpstart in 2022.
Example: If you hold Aeroplan 75K status for 2021, you'll keep that status through the end of 2022.
- Based on your 2021 flight activities, if you earn 26,000 SQM, 15 SQS, and 3,500 SQD, you’ll have met the qualification requirement for Aeroplan 25K, and therefore all 26,000 SQM, 15 SQS, and 3,500 SQD will be added to your qualification balance in 2022.
- Similarly, based on your 2021 flight activities, if you earn 79,000 SQM, 35 SQS, and 12,500 SQD, you’ll have met the qualification requirement for Aeroplan 75K, and therefore all 79,000 SQM, 35 SQS, and 12,500 SQD will be added to your qualification balance in 2022.
- However, based on your 2021 flight activities, if you earn 12,000 SQM, 4 SQS, and 2,800 SQD, you will not have met the qualification requirement for any Aeroplan Elite Status, and therefore your 2021 SQM, SQS, and SQD will not be honoured in 2022.
Learn more about Aeroplan Elite Status.
Flexible cancellation policy for Aeroplan flight rewards
Aeroplan flight rewards booked through August 31, 2021 can be changed or cancelled free of charge, at any time. If you'd like to cancel any flight reward, the fastest way to do so is right here at aircanada.com.
- For changes, you’ll pay only the difference in points, or receive a partial refund if your new itinerary requires fewer points. In addition, a difference in taxes, fees and charges may apply when changing your itinerary.
- For cancellations, you’ll receive all of your Aeroplan points back in your account, plus a full refund of any associated taxes, fees and surcharges on the unused value of your travel. (Note that refunds will not apply for previously-charged fees, including contact centre booking fees and change fees, or for government taxes and fees which are non-refundable by law.)
Beginning September 1, 2021, Aeroplan flight rewards are subject to the change and cancellation fee structure of the fare option purchased.
- Existing bookings (made through August 31, 2021) are eligible for a one-time free change or cancellation, even after this date. Please note any subsequent change or cancellation may be subject to a fee.
- Aeroplan Super Elite status members will continue to enjoy no change and cancellation fees for flight rewards redeemed from their accounts, regardless of the fare option purchased.
- Economy Latitude, Premium Economy Flexible, Business Class Flexible and First Class Flexible reward fare options offer waived change and cancellation fees for all members.
Temporary pause to expiration of Aeroplan points, until January 31, 2022
In order to give you one less thing to think about, as a policy matter, we have paused expiry of points until January 31, 2022. This means that between now and January 30, 2022, any Aeroplan points which would have expired will not. Effective January 31, 2022, our normal expiration policy will once again apply, meaning that points will expire if an eligible transaction has not been completed prior to this date. Where applicable, this update will appear in your account beginning later this month.
Learn more about Aeroplan’s 18-month inactivity policy.