Keeping your Aeroplan account active
You have 18 months before your Aeroplan points expire if there has been no activity in your account - meaning you haven’t earned, redeemed, donated, transferred or converted any points. But so long as you stay active, your points won’t expire at all.
Staying active is easy!
To stay active, just earn or redeem at least 1 Aeroplan point within an 18-month period. Here are some ideas:
- Fly with Air Canada and include your Aeroplan number on your booking.
- Book with our airline partners, including the entire Star Alliance network.
- Book a hotel room or a car rental.
- Shop online through the Aeroplan eStore, or in store at one of our retail partners.
- Redeem points for a flight reward - you can book with a combination of Points + Cash!
- Book a hotel room or car rental with your points.
- Use your points for a gift card or events.
- Treat yourself and redeem for extras & upgrades, like in-flight Wi-Fi.
More ways to stay active
- Donate points to a charity through Aeroplan.
- Transfer your points to a friend or family member who is also an Aeroplan Member.
- Convert your points from another loyalty program into Aeroplan points.
Did you know?
You can prevent your points from ever expiring as long as you are a primary TD® Aeroplan® Credit Cardholder, American Express®* Aeroplan Cardmember, CIBC® Aeroplan® Credit Cardholder, or if you hold Aeroplan Elite Status.
How will I know when my points will expire?
We will notify you by email up to 60 days before your points expire. That way, you have plenty of time to keep your account active by making a qualifying transaction. Make sure your email address is up to date in your Aeroplan account so you don't miss our reminders.
You can also check the status of your points at any time in your Aeroplan dashboard:
- Log in to your Aeroplan account.
- Click on the Activity tab.
- Scroll down to see your points inactivity date.
What happens if my points expire?
Should your points expire - not to worry. There are a few ways you can get them back within 6 months of expiry:
Buy back points
To reinstate your points, you may buy back expired points for a fee.
Fly with Air Canada
We’ll reinstate all your points if you fly with Air Canada within 6 months of expiry. You may book after your points expire, but travel must occur within the 6-month period.
Get an Aeroplan credit card
Reinstate your points by getting an Aeroplan credit card.
You can request missing points for past purchases made with our travel partners before your points expired, even if you didn’t provide your Aeroplan number when you booked. You can claim points for:
- A hotel stay or car rental within the last 6 months.
- A flight booking within 11 months of the flight departure date. Some exceptions apply.