Preferred seats offer the comfort of extra legroom when you travel in Economy class, giving you more space to relax and stretch out or work in comfort. In many cases, these seats are also at the front of the aircraft, meaning you get to deplane much faster upon arrival.
And when you purchase a Preferred seat*, you are invited to board with zone 3, at the very start of general boarding. This means you have more time to store your bag in the overhead bin close to your seat and settle in comfortably for your flight.
* Early boarding is offered to Air Canada Vacations customers who purchase a Preferred Seat on or after November 15, 2016.
On which flights are Preferred seats offered?
Preferred seats are located in exit rows, in select bulkhead rows and in the first few rows on select flights.
- Preferred seats are available on Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge, and select Air Canada Express flights. They are not available on codeshare flights.
- Preferred seats typically offer up to 35" of seat pitch compare to the standard 31-33". Seat pitch for exit and bulkhead rows vary by aircraft type.
How can I select a Preferred seat?
You can select a Preferred seat:
- Prior to travel (when you book your flight or later via the Manage My Bookings tab by clicking on the Select or Change Seats links)
- When you check-in for your flight online, on your mobile device, or at a self-service check-in kiosk
- Select Change Seats to display the seat map
- Go to the top of the screen to see available Preferred seats and prices
Is there a charge for selecting a Preferred seat?
Preferred seat selection is complimentary if you’re travelling on a Latitude fare, as well as for you and your travel companion(s) on the same booking if you are:
- An Altitude Super Elite 100K member travelling on a Flex or Tango fare, or an Aeroplan Flight Reward
- An Altitude Elite 75K member travelling on a Flex fare
- An Altitude Elite 50K member travelling on a Flex fare in Canada or between Canada and the U.S.
You’ll save 50% on Preferred seat charges for you and your travel companion(s) on the same booking if you are:
- An Altitude Elite 50K member travelling on a Flex fare between Canada and an international destination
- An Altitude Elite 35K or Prestige 25K member travelling on a Flex fare
For all other customers, prices (including taxes) per one-way flight segment are based on your itinerary:
|North America and Caribbean||International|
|$ 19 to $ 150||$ 69 to $ 199|
You can see the exact price of a Preferred seat during the booking process, by going to the Manage My Bookings tab, or when you check-in for your flight online, on your mobile device or at a self-service kiosk.
What else do I need to know?
Not everyone can sit in an exit row. In fact, detailed exit row and other restrictions apply, and are detailed below in our terms and conditions. We’ve also provided answers to a few more questions we’ve been asked about Preferred seats.
What terms and conditions apply to Preferred seats?
Exit-row seating restrictions
You may sit in an exit row if you are:
- 12 years of age or older
- Able to read and understand English or French, and provide oral instructions in one of the two languages
- Able to visually assess if it is safe to open the emergency exit;
- Free from any disability, condition or responsibilities (such as attending to another person) that may prevent you from performing the functions required to open an emergency exit
- Able to operate and safely evacuate through the emergency exit, and willing to assist in an evacuation in the event of an emergency
You must inform Air Canada if, between time of booking and the day of the flight, the above requirements can no longer be met. If for any reason you do not inform Air Canada, the passenger(s) will be moved from the exit-row seat at departure time.
Please note that you may be moved from your Preferred seat without notice in the event of an involuntary schedule or airport change (e.g., flight disruption, cancellation), to accommodate a passenger with a disability, or for any other reason that requires Air Canada to move you prior to departure or during the flight. If you are moved from your Preferred seat for one of these reasons, you may request a refund for your Preferred seat charges.
Your Preferred seat charge will not be refunded, in whole or in part, if:
- you change your seat selection in a way that results in a lower Preferred seat charge
- you change your seat selection from a Preferred to a standard seat
We’ve also provided answers to some of the other questions you may have about Preferred seats
Are Preferred seats available on all flights?
Subject to availability, Preferred seats are available on most routes operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express.
Preferred seats are not available on codeshare flights and flights operated by other airlines.
If I require special seating because of a justified medical condition or physical disability and I am assigned a Preferred seat, will I be charged the applicable fee?
No. If you require special seating because of a justified medical condition or physical disability and you are given a Preferred seat, the related seat charges will not apply. To request special seating, please contact the Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk:
1-800-667-4732 (toll-free between Canada and the U.S.)
1-514-369-7039 (long distance charges apply)
Hours of operation (Eastern Time):
Monday to Friday: 6am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday: 6am to 6pm
Will a receipt be issued when I purchase a Preferred seat?
Yes. Preferred seat charges will be included as a separate item on your itinerary receipt.
As a Flight Pass customer, how do I go about selecting my Preferred seat?
As a Flight Pass customer, you can purchase your Preferred seat online by going to the Manage my Bookings tab after you’ve completed your Flight Pass booking. Simply retrieve your booking and look for the seat selection link.
Are Preferred seats available for purchase at the airport ticket counter?
Preferred seats are not available for purchase at Air Canada airport ticket counters. They must be purchased online during the booking process. Just go to the Manage my Bookings tab after you’ve completed your booking, or at the time of check-in when using the web on your mobile device or at an airport check-in kiosk.
I paid for a Preferred seat and was reassigned to another seat. Will I be refunded?
If you purchase a Preferred seat but are reassigned by Air Canada to another seat prior to check-in, at the airport or on board the plane, you may request a refund for your Preferred seat charges.
Are Preferred seats available for Aeroplan Flight rewards?
Yes. If you have an Aeroplan Flight Reward booking, you can purchase your Preferred seat online by going to the Manage my Bookings tab after you’ve completed your booking. Simply retrieve your booking and look for the seat selection link.
Preferred seats are complimentary for Altitude Super Elite 100K members travelling on an Aeroplan Flight Reward.
Can I use my Aeroplan Miles to pay for Preferred seat selection?
No. This option is not available at this time.
I booked my Air Canada flight through my travel agency, can I select a Preferred seat?
Yes, your travel agency can request a Preferred seat online, if the booking was made through our travel agency website, or by calling Air Canada Reservations.