Choose a Preferred Seat on your next eligible flight and treat yourself to extra legroom*, early boarding and quicker access to overhead storage.
In many cases, Preferred seats are at the front of the aircraft, which means you also get to deplane much faster upon arrival.
And because you board with zone 3**, at the very start of general boarding, you’ll have more time to store your bag in the overhead bin close to your seat and settle in for your flight.
Select your Preferred Seat
- When you book your flight
- After booking by going to the My Bookings tab and clicking on the Select or Change Seats links
- When you check in for your flight online, on your mobile device, or at an airport check-in kiosk
Did you book with another airline?
You can still purchase a Preferred seat for your Air Canada operated flight. Just make sure you have your Air Canada booking reference .
* Preferred seats typically offer up to 35" of seat pitch compared to the standard 31-33". Seat pitch for exit and bulkhead rows vary by aircraft type.
** Early boarding is offered to Air Canada Vacations customers who purchase a Preferred Seat on or after November 15, 2016.
Preferred Seat Pricing
Prices (including taxes) range from $19 to $199 CAD/USD per one-way flight segment and are based on your itinerary.
You can see the exact price of a Preferred seat during the booking process, by going to the My Bookings tab, or when you check in for your flight.
Enjoy complimentary Preferred seat selection:
- When you travel on a Latitude fare
- As an Altitude Super Elite 100K member** travelling on a Flex or Tango fare, or an Aeroplan Flight Reward
- As an Altitude Elite 75K member** travelling on a Flex fare
- As an Altitude Elite 50K member** travelling on a Flex fare in Canada or between Canada and the U.S.
Save 50% on Preferred seat charges:
- As an Altitude Elite 50K member** travelling on a Flex fare between Canada and an international destination
- As an Altitude Elite 35K or Prestige 25K member** travelling on a Flex fare
** Applies also applies to your travel companion(s) on the same booking
Flights which offer Preferred Seating
Preferred seats are in exit rows, in select bulkhead rows and in the first few rows on select flights.
- Subject to availability, Preferred seats are offered on Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge, and select Air Canada Express flights. They are not available on codeshare flights or flights operated by other airlines.
- Preferred seats typically offer up to 35" of seat pitch compared to the standard 31-33".
- Seat pitch for exit and bulkhead rows varies by aircraft type.
A few other things you should know
Not everyone can sit in an exit row. In fact, exit row and other restrictions apply, and are detailed below in our terms and conditions. We’ve also provided answers to a few more questions we’ve been asked about Preferred seats.
Preferred Seat Terms and Conditions
Exit-row seating restrictions
You may sit in an exit row if you are:
- 12 years of age or older
- Able to read and understand English or French, and provide oral instructions in one of the two languages
- Able to visually assess if it is safe to open the emergency exit;
- Free from any disability, condition or responsibilities (such as attending to another person) that may prevent you from performing the functions required to open an emergency exit
- Able to operate and safely evacuate through the emergency exit, and willing to assist in an evacuation in the event of an emergency
You must inform Air Canada if, between time of booking and the day of the flight, the above requirements can no longer be met. If for any reason you do not inform Air Canada, the passenger(s) will be moved from the exit-row seat at departure time.
Other seating restrictions
- passengers may not travel with a pet in the cabin when seated in an exit or bulkhead row.
- You may be moved from your Preferred seat without notice in the event of an involuntary schedule or airport change (e.g., flight disruption, cancellation), to accommodate a passenger with a disability, or for any other reason that requires Air Canada to move you prior to departure or during the flight.
- If you are moved from your Preferred seat for one of these reasons, you may request a refund for your Preferred seat charges.
- Your travel agency can request a Preferred seat online, if the booking was made through our travel agency website, or by calling Air Canada Reservations.
- Preferred seat charges will be included as a separate item on your itinerary receipt.
- Preferred seats are not available for purchase at Air Canada airport ticket counters.
Your Preferred seat charge will not be refunded, in whole or in part, if:
- you change your seat selection in a way that results in a lower Preferred seat charge
- you change your seat selection from a Preferred to a standard seat
Special Seating Required Because of a Medical Condition or Physical Disability
If you require special seating because of a justified medical condition or physical disability and you are given a Preferred seat, the related seat charges will not apply. To request special seating, please contact the Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk:Phone:
1-800-667-4732 (toll-free between Canada and the U.S.)
1-514-369-7039 (long distance charges apply)
Monday to Friday: 6am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday: 6am to 6pm
Flight Pass Customers
As a Flight Pass customer, you can purchase your Preferred seat online by going to the Manage my Bookings tab after you’ve completed your Flight Pass booking. Simply retrieve your booking and look for the seat selection link.
Aeroplan Flight Reward and Aeroplan Miles
Aeroplan Flight Rewards
If you have an Aeroplan Flight Reward booking, you can purchase your Preferred seat online by going to the My Bookings tab after you’ve completed your booking. Simply retrieve your booking and look for the seat selection link.
Preferred seats are complimentary for Altitude Super Elite 100K members travelling on an Aeroplan Flight Reward.
It is not possible, at this time, to purchase a Preferred Seat using Aeroplan Miles.