immediate family, Air Canada will provide reduced bereavement fares* on select itineraries.
Our bereavement policy:
- Applies to:
- Flights marketed and operated by Air Canada, Air Canada rouge and Air Canada Express
- Round-trip and select one-way bookings for international travel
- One-way bookings for travel within North America**
- Requires the following:
- Your bereavement travel must start:
- within 7 days of booking in the case of international travel
- within 10 days of booking if you’re travelling within North America**
- Your maximum stay must not exceed 30 days in the case of international travel
- Does not apply to:
Please note that our bereavement/compassionate travel policy provides for fixed discounts off specific, unrestricted, full fares, or the waiving of specific terms and conditions on many Air Canada markets, and that no other discount may be applied.
In many instances, a lower-priced fare may be found by shopping online at aircanada.com. Bereavement fares are intended to provide maximum flexibility for passengers who must travel during a time of family emergency but are not necessarily the lowest fares available.
To obtain a bereavement fare
Before you purchase your ticket:
Call Air Canada Reservations. You’ll be asked to provide the following information:
- the name of the family member,
- the telephone number and address of:
- the hospital and attending physician, or
- the funeral home, along with the date of the funeral.
If you're purchasing your ticket at the airport:
At the airport ticket counter, you’ll need to present a copy of the death certificate or a letter from the attending physician or hospital clearly defining the imminent death of the family member.
To request an after-travel refund for bereavement travel
After-travel refunds are not available for North America itineraries; they apply only to select international itineraries that are eligible for bereavement fares. For full details, please call Air Canada Reservations.To apply for a refund for bereavement travel, please submit the original boarding pass(es) and original passenger ticket(s) and one of the following:
- a copy of the death certificate,
- the Funeral Director's Statement of Death,
- a letter from the attending physician or hospital (original or copy).
Refund applications must be made within 90 days of bereavement; you can make your application in person at any Air Canada or Jazz ticket counter, or by mail to:
Air Canada, Refund Services
P.O. Box 6475,
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3C 3V2
** Travel within North America: If your departure and return dates are more than 10 days apart, we’ll book your one-way ticket to your destination and ask you to call us back when you’re ready to book your return.