Use our calculator to determine your checked baggage allowance and charges.
- I don’t have a ticket yet1
- I have a ticket
|Fee2||Weight & Size|
- Final baggage allowance and service fees ultimately charged may differ from those displayed as they are based on the date of ticketing, and are available on the itinerary-receipt once a booking has been completed. The baggage allowance displayed by our calculator applies to all Air Canada and Air Canada rouge flights, as well as to Air Canada Express flights operated by Jazz, Sky Regional, Air Georgian and Exploits Valley Air. When an itinerary includes travel with one of our codeshare partners or with another airline, the baggage policies of the other carrier may apply. Customers may be reassessed checked baggage fees when itineraries include an enroute stopover in excess of 24 hours.
- For travel between Canada or the United States and Mexico, the Dominican Republic and Barbados, an applicable local sales tax of $4.00 CAD may apply to baggage fees. For all other itineraries to/from Mexico, the Dominican Republic and Barbados as well as itineraries to/from South America, an applicable local sales tax of $21.00 CAD may apply to baggage fees. All above tax amounts are based on the maximum applicable tax amounts per itinerary type. Actual amounts may vary and will be charged in the currency used in your departure airport. Tax amounts are subject to change without notice by local government.
Extra bags or overweight / oversized itemsIf your baggage exceeds the allowance allowed by your fare type (in number, size and/or weight), additional checked baggage charges will apply. Please refer to the table above for additional checked baggage charges that apply to your itinerary.
- Please arrive at the airport at least 120 minutes before departure if checking additional bags, or overweight or oversized pieces.
- Please read useful information if you're travelling with sports equipment.
- You will need to contact Air Canada Cargo* if you’re travelling with bags that exceed:
- 32 kg (70 lb) in weight,
- 292 cm (115 in) in linear dimensions, and/or
- 203 cm (80 in) in length.
* Shipments from or via the U.S.
Because passengers are considered unknown shippers for cargo purposes, Air Canada Cargo can ship only cats and dogs from or via the U.S. For any other type of shipment, please contact another shipping company (e.g. UPS or FedEx).
Members of the Canadian and U.S. military benefit from an enhanced baggage allowance whenever they travel on a flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada rouge or Air Canada Express. Eligible active and retired members of the Canadian and U.S. military are entitled to up to three pieces of checked baggage, each weighing up to 32 kg (70 lb) each.
If you are an eligible customer, please proceed as follows to benefit from this enhanced baggage allowance:
- When prompted at check-in (online, on your mobile or at an airport kiosk), indicate that you are travelling without checked bags.
- At the airport, see an Air Canada agent to have your bags tagged and checked free of charge, upon presentation of military identification.
Payment of baggage fees
You can pay any applicable baggage fees when you check in for your flight:
- on your mobile device,
- at the airport using one of our self-service check-in kiosks or at an Air Canada check-in counter.
Note: For transactions conducted outside Canada, baggage fees will be charged in the local currency of the country in which the transaction occurs.
Prices displayed do not include any applicable taxes.
Baggage fees are not refundable if your bags are delayed.
Group travelAre you travelling as part of a group of 10 or more people to a single destination? If so, it’s important to know that certain restrictions apply if your group is travelling with special equipment or musical instruments on one of the following aircraft:
- Bombardier CRJ100/200 (CRJ)
- Bombardier CRJ705 (CRA)
- Bombardier Dash 8-100 (DH1)
- Bombardier Dash 8-300 (DH3)
- Beechcraft 1900D (BEH)
Baggage Screening and Locked Bags
For your security, all checked bags must be screened and cleared in order to be permitted to travel. In some cases, bags may have to be opened and searched. If you choose to lock your bag, it is recommended that you use a lock which can be opened by airport security agencies, such as a Travel Sentry Approved or Safe Skies lock. You may use other means of locking your bags; however, it is with the understanding that the screening process may result in damage to the lock or to the bag itself, and may cause baggage delays.
- The following items must always be placed in your carry-on baggage:
- laptop computers*,
- car and house keys,
- high value items such as cameras, jewellery and electronic devices.
- Please read information on printer toner cartridges if you plan on bringing such items in your carry-on or checked baggage.
- Please also view a detailed list of items that are restricted or prohibited as carry-on or checked baggage. Valuable information can also be found on the CATSA website.
- Do not wrap bungee cords, ties or straps around baggage.
- Remove all old airline tags from your luggage.
- Attach identification tags to the inside and outside of the bag, noting your destination as well as home address and relevant contact information.
* On smaller aircraft (e.g. Jazz Dash-8 or CRJ) with limited onboard storage space, customers are asked to deposit their carry-on items on a cart as they board the plane. Laptop computers must be removed from any carry-on baggage that is deposited on such carts.