News Archive

Travel News and Updates

Electronic Travel Authorization for Flights to Canada

 January 3, 2017

Effective December 1st, 2016, Mexican citizens who do not have a valid visa will be required to have an eTA before they can board a flight to Canada.

November 14, 2016

The Government of Canada has introduced a new entry requirement, known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), that applies to visa-exempt foreign nationals* travelling to or transiting Canada by air.

Effective November 10, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals must have an eTA before they can board a flight to Canada. To complete your application for an eTAOpens in New Window, you will need your passport, a credit card and an email address. An eTA costs $7 CAD and is valid for up to five years.

Among those exempted from this new requirement are U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. As well, entry requirements for travellers arriving by land or sea have not changed.

To see if the citizens of your country/region need an eTA or to apply for one, visit the Government of Canada’s Electronic Travel Authorization Opens in New Windowwebsite.

* A visa-exempt foreign national is a person who is not a citizen of Canada and is not required to obtain a visa for the purpose of travel based on their country/region of nationality.