The following information provides answers to the most commonly asked refund-related questions.
If you do not find what you're looking for below, try our Contact Us or Customer Service FAQs pages. They provide useful links to other departments (e.g. Customer Relations) and answers to other commonly-asked questions (e.g. regarding baggage, ticket receipts).
Where should I go to request a ticket refund?
It is important to always present your refund request via the original point of purchase. Only contact one department. Please refrain from sending your request for refund to more than one department.If you purchased a fully-refundable fare at aircanada.com:
- You can cancel your booking by going to the Manage My Bookings page. This will automatically initiate your refund process.
- And your ticket is for future travel or you are cancelling a booking for which an upgrade has been confirmed, contact Air Canada Reservations.
- And your ticket was for travel that has past, complete our Ticket Refund Application Form.
- Contact your travel agent directly.
- Contact them directly.
Whom should I contact to request a refund for a service that I purchased with Air Canada but did not receive?
If you purchase a travel option or service (e.g. Preferred Seat) but did not receive it, contact Customer Relations.
I cancelled my trip and have a credit that I'd like to use. Which department can best assist me?If your ticket is for future travel:
- Contact Air Canada Reservations
If your ticket was for travel that has past
- Complete our Ticket Refund Application Form.
How long will it take for my refund to be processed?
If your refund request is being reviewed by Refund Services or Customer Relations, it may take up to 3 weeks (unless otherwise stated by applicable law) for your refund claim to be reviewed.
If you have not received any information after 3 weeks, review the receipt that you received when you filled out the online refund application; on it you'll find it a Claim ID, confirmation number and link to our status tool.
What happens if I cancel my reservation within 24 hours of purchase?
If you cancel your reservation online within 24 hours of purchase, you will receive an email confirming that the price of your ticket will be refunded automatically.
In the case of Flight Pass bookings, credits that are cancelled within 24 hours of booking will be credited back to your Flight Pass account and no cancellation fee will apply.
- Fares may be subject to penalties.
- Refunds are credited back to the original method of payment. (Note: In the case of cash and Interac online payments, customers will receive a cheque in the mail.)
- All refund assessments are based on Air Canada's tariffs and policies as well as the terms and conditions of your purchase. Fare rules explain refundability of your purchase. Please read this information carefully.