The air waybill is the most important document for transporting freight by air. The e-AWB will replace the paper air waybill with an electronic contract of carriage between the carrier and the customers. A paper copy of the air waybill will no longer be required at the point of origin.
To get started with e-AWB:
- Send us an FWB electronic message, prior to tendering your shipment, and include the appropriate special handling code, EAP or EAW.
- When we accept the shipment as "ready for carriage", we will send you an FSU/RCS electronic message in reply as our part of the contract. A cargo receipt in paper form will be optional if you require proof of the contract.
Note: If you are shipping within Canada and on International routings, both agreements are necessary. The terms of liability contained within the conditions of contract for International shipments differ from those for Domestic shipments.
Don't have an in-house system for creating and sending the e-freight electronic messages?
You can still participate in e-AWB. Any shipper or freight forwarder can use Cargo Portal Services (CPS) to enter and send us MAWB information.
Steps to take:
- Apply for an Air Canada account (An Air Canada account is a requirement for CPS).
- Register for a CPS account at www.cargoportalservices.com.
- Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put e-AWB and your CPS Branch ID in the subject line.
- Sign an e-AWB agreement.
- Watch for the e-freight tab to be loaded on your CPS screen.
Where can you use e-AWBs?
Air Canada Cargo is launching e-AWB on a station by station basis. Our list of stations that can accommodate e-AWB is constantly growing!
At this time, e-AWB can be used between countries which have both ratified the same international treaty, MP4 or MC99. That's actually most countries in the world. Also, some local customs authorities still require paper copies of air waybills despite the treaties.
IATA and other industry organizations are lobbying worldwide regulatory authorities to establish more unified standards and make the industry more efficient and paperless.
Here's the good news: In the event that a paper air waybill is required, Air Canada Cargo will print it on your behalf.