Our policy regarding customers with allergies
Air Canada serves and offers for sale products containing various ingredients that may be allergens for some passengers. If you are allergic or sensitive to products that may be found in an aircraft cabin, it is your responsibility to always carry the proper medication and other protection.
If you have severe allergies, you should always carry one or more EpiPen (epinephrine), Auto-Injectors, much as you would under other circumstances.
Allergies to peanuts and nuts
We have phased out peanuts from all packaged bar snacks onboard our aircraft in all classes of service. In addition, we have also replaced our other packaged snack products with non-peanut alternatives wherever possible. However:
- We cannot offer a special meal that is nut-/peanut-free.
- We cannot guarantee that the complimentary meal or other food items served on board will be free from peanuts, peanut by-products or any other food to which a person may be allergic, as it would be impossible to manage with our many caterers, their suppliers and sub-suppliers.
- We cannot be responsible for passengers who may bring peanuts or other products on board, or for any residue that may remain on or between seat cushions.
- We cannot allow a child who is severely allergic to peanuts/peanut products to travel as an unaccompanied minor.
- In addition to carrying one or more EpiPen Auto-Injectors, customers with severe nut/peanut allergies are responsible for taking any other precautions, such as packing their own snacks, using a hand sanitizer, and bringing wet wipes to clean surrounding areas.
Buffer zone seating for severe peanut/nut allergies
If you have a severe allergy to peanuts or nuts you may request that a buffer zone* be set up around your seat in order to help avoid the risk of exposure. Here's what you need to know:
- Only the other customers seated within the buffer zone* will be briefed on board by the flight attendant prior to departure:
- They will be informed that they must not consume nut/peanut products.
- They will not be offered any Air Canada Café items containing nuts/peanuts.
- There will not be a general announcement to all customers about the existence of a buffer zone* or about the customer with severe nut/peanut allergies.
Severe allergies to cats or dogs
If you have a severe allergy to cats or dogs, you should carry your asthma inhaler, as well as hand sanitizer and wet wipes to clean surrounding areas.
Medical approval is required for all passengers, regardless of the itinerary, when requesting a buffer zone* for severe allergies to cats or dogs.
Please note that certain restrictions or conditions may apply with regard to severe allergies to dogs.
How to request a buffer zone
To request a buffer zone*, please contact the Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk at least 48 hours before your flight, regardless of your itinerary. We will also make a reasonable effort to accommodate your request if it is made within 48 hours.
Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk
1-800-667-4732 (Toll-free between Canada and the U.S.)
1-514-369-7039 (long distance charges apply)
Hours of operation (ET):
* Note: In International Business Class, the buffer zone consists of the suite occupied by the passenger with allergies.
We offer a choice of 17 special meals to accommodate our customers' special dietary needs. However, we cannot guarantee that our special meals will be entirely free of nuts/peanuts, seafood, gluten, or any other food product.
See what special meals are offered and how to order one for your next flight within North America or to an international destination.
This list of onboard snacks and their ingredients is provided on an informational basis only. Air Canada assumes no liability pertaining to the content of the information included in this list.
- Almond Biscotti (20.1 KB, .pdf)
- Cashew and Almond Mix (126 KB, .pdf)
- Cookie – Bran Crunch (126 KB, .pdf)
- Cookie – Chips Ahoy (104 KB, .pdf)
- Cookie – Cranberry Citrus Oat (165 KB, .pdf)
- Lemon Wildberry Biscotti (20.4 KB, .pdf)
- LINDT 70% 35g Bar (82.5 KB, .pdf)
- LINDT 2 Pack – Milk % Dark (103 KB, .pdf)
- LINDT Extra Creamy (78.7 KB, .pdf)
- Miss Vickie’s Reduced Fat Chips (548 KB, .pdf)
- Pretzels (129 KB, .pdf)
- Roasted Salted Almonds (128 KB, .pdf)
- Triple Chocolate Biscotti (20.1 KB, .pdf)