Our policy regarding customers with allergies
Air Canada serves and offers for sale products containing various ingredients that may be allergens for some passengers. If you are allergic or sensitive to products that may be found in an aircraft cabin, it is your responsibility to always carry the proper medication and other protection.
If you have severe allergies, you should always carry one or more EpiPens as you would under any other circumstances. If you have a severe allergy to cats, you should carry your asthma inhaler, as well as hand sanitizer and wet wipes to clean surrounding areas.
Allergies to peanuts and nutsWe have phased out peanuts from all packaged bar snacks onboard our aircraft in all classes of service. In addition, we have also replaced our other packaged snacks products with non-peanut alternatives wherever possible. However:
- We cannot offer a special meal that is nut-/peanut-free.
- We cannot guarantee that the complimentary meal or other food items served on board will be free from peanuts, peanut by-products or any other food to which a person may be allergic, as it would be impossible to manage with our many caterers, their suppliers and sub-suppliers.
- We cannot be responsible for passengers who may bring peanuts or other products on board, or for any residue that may remain on or between seat cushions.
- A child who is severely allergic to peanuts/peanut products cannot travel as an unaccompanied minor.
If you have a severe allergy to peanuts or nuts, you may request that a buffer zone be set up around your seat* in order to help avoid the risk of exposure. Here's what you need to know:
- To request a buffer zone*, please contact the Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk (see contact information below) at least 48 hours before your flight, regardless of your itinerary**. We will also make a reasonable effort to accommodate your request if it is made within 48 hours.
- Only the other customers seated within the buffer zone will be briefed on board by the flight attendant prior to departure:
- They will be informed that they must not consume nut/peanut products.
- They will not be offered any Onboard Café items containing nuts/peanuts.
Severe allergies to cats or dogs
If you have a severe allergy to cats or dogs, you may request a buffer zone in order to help avoid the risk of exposure. Please note that certain restrictions or conditions may apply with regard to severe allergies to dogs.
To request a buffer zone, please contact the Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk (see contact information below) at least 48 hours before your flight as medical approval is required for all passengers, regardless of the itinerary*.
We will also make a reasonable effort to accommodate your request if it is made within 48 hours.
* See special requirements for flights between Canada and the United States.
Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk
1-800-667-4732 (Toll-free between Canada and the U.S.)
1-514-369-7039 (long distance charges apply)
- Hours of operation (EST):
Monday to Friday: 6am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday: 6am to 6pm
We offer a choice of 17 special meals to accommodate our customers' special dietary needs. However, we cannot guarantee that our special meals will be entirely free of nuts/peanuts, seafood, gluten, or any other food product.
The list of onboard snacks and their ingredients, below, is provided on a “for your information only” basis, and Air Canada assumes no liability pertaining to the content of the information below.
- Blue Diamond Almonds (40 KB, .pdf)
- Cadbury Caramilk Thick Chocolate Bar (24 KB, .pdf)
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate Bar (22 KB, .pdf)
- Cadbury Fruit & Nut Chocolate Bar (24 KB, .pdf)
- Doritos / Tostitos Chips - Assorted Flavours (26 KB, .pdf)
- English Bay Chocolate Chip Cookie (332 KB, .pdf)
- English Bay Oatmeal Raisin Cookie (322 KB, .pdf)
- Kellogg’s Special K Cereal (72 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels AC Mix (77 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels AC Mix: Crunchy Sesame (107 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels Cheddar Cheese Sticks (110 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels Cheddar Corn Jacks (113 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels Chili Lemon Corn Sticks (105 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels Corn Chips with flax (106 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels Dragon Mix (102 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels Honey Mustard and Onion Sticks (113 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels Pretzels (107 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels Rice Crackers (105 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels Salted Dry Roasted Cashews (100 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels Smoked Almonds (101 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels Whole Salted Cashews (95 KB, .pdf)
- Krispy Kernels Garlic Sesame Sticks (82 KB, .pdf)
- Nissin Chicken Noodle Soup (289 KB, .pdf)
- Peek Frean Bran Crunch Cookies (20 KB, .pdf)
- Peek Frean Lifestyle Cranberry Citrus Oat Crunch (72 KB, .pdf)
- Pringles – Ingredients – Nutritional info (33 KB, .pdf)