Customers with special needsSpecial seating
View specific special seating information as it applies to itineraries between Canada and the United States.
For travel within Canada, customers who require extra seating because they are disabled by obesity or because they must accommodate another disability may request the service free of charge on:
- An Air Canada flight or Air Canada Express flight operated by Jazz or Sky Regional
- Extra seating may be limited on CRJ, Embraer, Dash-8 and Q400 aircraft
- An Air Canada-coded flight operated by Air Georgian or Exploits Valley Air (when aircraft type and configuration allow)
To request extra seating at no extra charge, medical approval is required:
- Print a copy of the Air Canada Fitness for Travel form and
- Follow the instructions on how and when to request medical approval for travel.
Extra seating is not available:
- on Beech aircraft
- on codeshare flights
- in Business Class
View our Fleet page for more information on Air Canada and Air Canada Express aircraft configuration.
More about extra seating
Customers who are not eligible for a free extra seat have the option to purchase one for comfort by contacting Air Canada Reservations.
No advance seat selection is permitted when requesting extra seating. Seats are assigned manually in advance of flight by the Air Canada Medical Services desk with the purpose of accommodating your disability.
When requesting an extra seat, a single reservation and ticket are required in the name of the person travelling. Duplicate bookings under the same name are not permitted, nor are identical bookings made under different names or pseudonyms.
By contacting Air Canada Reservations, you can request a seat:
- with liftable or removable armrests
- with additional floor space to accommodate a service animal
- close to the washrooms and exits
Advance notice for special seating
Although no medical approval is required, you must provide at least 48 hours' advance notice (72 hours for certain destinations) when requesting special seating.
View specific information for itineraries between Canada and the United States.
If you did not pre-select your seat when you made your reservation, but require special seating accommodations, please contact Air Canada Reservations.
Codeshare flights or flights with other airlines
If you are flying on a flight operated by another carrier on a codeshare or interline basis, Air Canada cannot guarantee special or extra seating. Please contact either the operating carrier directly, or Air Canada Reservations, who will make every reasonable effort to fulfill your special seating needs.