Star Alliance Upgrade Awards
Star Alliance Upgrade Awards can be booked for most flights* marketed and operated by Air Canada or Air Canada Express (operated by Jazz only) provided you've purchased a Latitude (booking classes Y or B) or Premium Economy (booking class O) fare.
Codeshare flights and flights departing from the following airports are not eligible for Star Alliance Upgrade Awards:
- Charlotte, NC (CLT)
- Cleveland, OH (CLE)
- Columbus, OH (CMH)
- Detroit, MI (DTW)
- Indianapolis, IN (IND)
- Kansas City, MO (MCI)
- Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
- Minneapolis, MN (MSP)
- Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
- Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)
- Portland, OR (PDX)
- Raleigh-Durham, NC (RDU)
- St-Louis, MO (STL)
- Washington, DC, Dulles (IAD)
- Cayo Largo del Sur (CYO)
- Ciego de Avila (AVI)
- Holguin (HOG)
Requesting an upgrade
- To book a Star Alliance Upgrade Award, make sure you have your Air Canada booking reference handy, then contact:
- Up to four passengers on a single reservation can be upgraded with a Star Alliance Upgrade Award provided they are travelling on an eligible flight with Air Canada or Air Canada Express (operated by Jazz only). If you do not wish to upgrade all the passengers on a reservation, contact your original booking source to divide your booking.
- As the member sponsoring the upgrade with your miles, you do not necessarily have to travel.
You can request an upgrade as soon as your booking is confirmed. Although it is currently not possible to waitlist for a Star Alliance Upgrade Award, you can continue to request an upgrade until 24 hours prior to flight departure by contacting your frequent flyer program.
Airport standby requests for Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are not possible.
- Mileage accumulation is based upon the originally purchased Latitude or Premium Economy fare.
Preferred SeatsIf you have purchased a Preferred Seat for a flight which has a confirmed Star Alliance Upgrade Award, your Preferred Seat charges will be automatically refunded.
At the airport
When travelling with a confirmed Star Alliance Upgrade Award on Air Canada or Air Canada Express (operated by Jazz only), you don't need any record of your upgrade, as it is identified in your reservation. Arrive at the airport relaxed, where you'll enjoy the many privileges of travelling in our Executive cabin:
- Priority check-in
- Priority baggage handling and extra allowance
- Maple Leaf Lounge and Star Alliance lounge access
- Priority boarding
Changes and cancellations
Changes or cancellations to Star Alliance Upgrade Awards on flights operated by Air Canada or Air Canada Express (operated by Jazz only) must be completed in two steps:
First, contact Air Canada Reservations in order to have to have your miles returned to your account.
For policies regarding how many of your miles will be returned following a cancelled Star Alliance Upgrade Award, visit the website of your frequent flyer program.
- Second, contact your original booking source in order to proceed with your desired change or cancellation:
- Contact Air Canada Reservations if your booking was made with Air Canada, including reservations made at aircanada.com.
- If your booking was made through another source, such as a travel agency or another airline, you will need to contact them directly.
To request another Star Alliance Upgrade Award for your new flight(s) once your change has been completed, contact your frequent flyer program.
You can make a same-day confirmed change or request to stand by for an alternate flight at the airport on the day of departure. You may be confirmed in the Executive cabin if space is available.
Special ExceptionsCertain bookings and special services are not eligible for Star Alliance Upgrade Awards on Air Canada or Air Canada Express (operated by Jazz only) flights. These include:
- Customers travelling on industry discount fares
- Customers travelling on a group booking
- Customers accompanied by a pet in the aircraft cabin
- Customers requiring special medical attention