Prepare your pet for travel
Before the flight
Once within our care, pets are brought to specialized rooms for safety and comfort and are transported to the airplane in dedicated vehicles. In order to further minimize the stress of travelling, we recommend the following:
- Make sure you have a confirmed reservation with Air Canada Cargo and that all other travel arrangements are made and confirmed prior to departure.
- The pet container must conform to the IATA live animal regulations. Please contact your local Air Canada Cargo facility for details. See the "Choosing the right kennel" section below.
- Purchase the kennel in advance so as to allow your pet to become accustomed to the kennel well before the flight. Also, place your pet's favourite toy or other item in the kennel.
- Clearly indicate your pet's name on the outside of the kennel, and use zip ties AND bolts to secure the top and bottom portions of the kennel/container together. Clips alone will not be accepted.
- Make sure your pet gets plenty of exercise, and feed it a light meal and water two hours before leaving home.
- Do not sedate your pet. Sedative drugs can be dangerous for your pet, as drugs act differently under different atmospheric pressures. Please consult your veterinarian for more information.
Choosing the right kennel
The measurements below are based on the animal standing in a natural position
A = length of animal from nose to root of tail.
B = height from ground to elbow joint.
C = width across musters.
D = height of animal in standing position.
The length of the kennel must be equal to A + 1/2 B.
The width of the kennel must be equal to C x 2.
The height of the kennel (top flat or arched) must be equal to D.
Number of pets per kennel
The number of pets allowed per kennel varies according to your origin or destination, as well as the age and size of your pet.
Travel to/from the U.S.
|Pet 8 weeks to 6 months old||Up to 2 pets per kennel provided each animal weighs less than 9 kg (20 lb).|
|Pet over 6 months old||1 pet per kennel|
All other origins or destinations
|Pet weighing up to 14 kg (30 lb)||Up of two adult dogs or cats of comparable size per kennel, provided they are used to cohabitation.|
|Pet over 14 kg (30 lb)||1 pet per kennel|
|Cats or dogs from the same litter||
Up to three cats or dogs from the same litter can be shipped in the same kennel provided: